20.12.08

Strange dig from afar


It looked like a grave which interested me. I've seen other graves in China that are not much different from this. The funerals here are pretty intense with everyone dawning white sheets and pointed hats. i wont get into that but will briefly say that this is an uncomfortable subject over here. I recently asked where all the dead people go and got some very off put expressions. I then attempted to explain that I wasn't trying to talk about religion and the afterlife (another touchy subject) but that grave yards fascinate me. That didn't make things better (how do I explain that I wrote about Dracula, the suspension of time, and photography IN school without sounding creepy?). There are a LOT of people in China and I have never seen a cemetery or graveyard, yet alone a funeral home, or anything death related. It's like nobody dies over here. They just disappear.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it possible that with so many people land is too valuable for grave yards even cremation sites? Just wondering. Perhaps 'they' know the spirit does not take up room.

kim said...

Hmm that's interesting. In Vietnam every family has their own grave-site. The tombs are pretty elaborate and the sites seem to randomly scatter the countryside. I saw a few of them in the city though. But it didn't seem like there were designated public graveyards in the city. I wonder if it's a similar thing in China?