3.1.09

mix a lot




There is a man behind the cloud of smoke in the second picture. He was very excited to see me and wanted to show me how his machine worked. Now I need to find a way to print him a picture as I went again last week and he made a big commotion about my camera. I had the feeling he wanted a picture. It reminded me of this horrible situation I got into 5 years ago when I ended up in Tibet for a month. I was wandering about near the Potala Palace on a very cold day and this poor tourist came rushing up to me and wanted me to take his photo. After I did this he ran over to me and thought I could print him a picture (Polaroid cameras used to be very common.) It was really sad, especially since all I could do was haltingly explain that my camera didn't print pictures and being the dead of winter (everything closes in winter as tourism basically stops up there) there wasn't anywhere I could see to do such a thing. The story gets even more tragic as I got him to write down his mailing address with the thought that I could mail him a picture. how great it would be! He scribbled some things down very enthusiastically on a piece of paper and when I got back to Beijing I had a friend translate the writing. He wrote his name and the city he was from. That's it!

No comments: